Saturday, May 27, 2023

Sayings of my people


These are FLAGS...some people call them Irises-- not my family.  My dad always called them flags, so now every time I see one, that's what I say in my head.  We had Flags growing in our yard just to have them ready for Memorial day to get put on every family member's gravestone.  

__________________

 Posture was a big deal in my home when I was growing up.  My parents said time and time again, "Straight and Tall"--or "S and T" and we knew to work on our posture, not to slump, to pull our shoulders back and boobs out, and to look up. 

We would go on a walk and we would hear "S and T."

We would be sitting, slumping in church and we would hear "S and T."

We would be gathering for a picture and we would hear "S and T."

___________________

Our George Sharkey always stands when he greets someone.  He's in his 80's and he will still struggle to his feet and if you say, "Don't get up."  He responds with, "I always stand for Royalty!" 

_________________

My dad had two scriptures that he frequently trotted out.

When he was pouring us water or dishing us up food he would always quote, Matthew 23:11 - "He who is the greatest among you, let him be your servant."

AND

When we were the only ones at my grandparent's home, he would look around and quote, Mark 14:7 - "...the poor are always with you."

It makes me chuckle still to think on this and I can hear his voice and twinkle in his eye.

_____________


No comments: