Monday, May 22, 2023

I Dance

Mom always said. “I dance. “ She said it not to remind us of her long careered history in dance and choreography, she said it as a reminder to herself not to fall into comparison. When others around her were apparently better at cooking or gardening or businessing or churching or whatever, she would lovingly remind herself of her own talents.  We gotta leave some things for other people to be good at.  Sometimes not being good at something is a great act of generosity. 

My mom worked on herself then shared herself with all of us. What a gift. I believe this is the way. We become more compassionate and curious about ourselves then this same compassion and curiosity extends to our kids, spouses, friends, neighbors, and the world.

Dancing with the Wii - Mom, Bre, Holly and Laila

Mom never let us get away with saying “I can’t.”She always said that “can’t” was a 4 letter swear word. She would remind us to say, “I’m not able to at this time, but I’ll keep trying.” ( And side note: my mom said her share of swear words. Her favorite was sh*%. When she was called on it by our lil sister Angela and have to put $ in the swear jar she would say, “If you can’t say something nice, atleast say something soft and warm.” But I digress.)


I’m so grateful for a yes-you-can-mom who stayed out of comparison, talked nice to herself and reached out with compassion and curiosity to all. She helped herself which then showed us the way.

Plus she had a
License plate surround that proclaimed, “Damn I’m good. “.


No comments: