Wednesday, June 3, 2020

Lean into Plan B



Having LGBTQ family members has been a blessing for me. It’s helped me let go of my pride and my ego. It’s helped me let go of plan A and lean into plan B.   And Plan B, C, D, and E…… is where the magic happens! It’s an important part of my growth and development. I was forced to go there, but I’m so grateful I did.


We want to believe life is math … 2 + 2 =4… I do this and I get that. It doesn’t work this way. It never has.


We want everything to just look tidy. When we see other people and "the wheels are coming off" for them, it’s a reminder that that can happen for us too. We don’t like to see that. SO we put on our Sunday best smiles and don’t know what to say, so we avoid and say nothing. I don't want to be like this anymore.  I want to see people in all their humanness and be compassionate and curious and also vulnerable to allow others to really see me.  


Faith and Trust in my Heavenly Father is what moves me forward as I move into our family’s new normal.


Plan B has made me less church-centric and more Christ-centered.


I used to pray controlling prayers. "Help this kid to do this…. help this child to want this…. Help my spouse be like this."    Now I pray that I can be a part of their development and embrace their free agency and continue to interact and love well this person my child/spouse/friend is becoming.


I want to lean into that and not shut down and damage the relationship.
Embrace plan B, C, D and X
Give up control
Move into Faith and Hope and Trust that my family is turning out exactly how it’s supposed to.


I will keep exploring life and relationships. I will get out of judgment and stay involved with compassion and curiosity.


I can be right or I can be kind. I choose kind.

No comments: