Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Change your mind





This is my dad holding his last two grandchildren. When Laila became ours he was so thrilled to have some “color” added to our family tree. Dad grew up in segregated America; he served a Southern states mission for our church in the 1950’s and served in the Korean War stationed in Georgia. For a white farmer from Fairview, Idaho it was a lot. Racism was the air he breathed. Dad wasn’t always so open and inclusive as he became the last twenty years of his life. Like all of us he had implicit biases that he needed to confront.

πŸ™πŸΌ

When speaking about race later in life, he would call himself “Colorblind” thinking this was a good thing. Now I believe Dad would change his mind about this too. πŸ’™πŸ’›πŸ§‘πŸ’œ If you look around and all you see is one color of skin…it’s easy to fall back on, “I’m not racist, I’m color blind.” But that’s not really true.

Challenge your assumptions.

Instead of trying to be color blind, we should love all parts of every person and learn to honor the differences! I believe that by truly seeing one another, miracles will come.


We need to get comfortable at being uncomfortable with the conversation about race.

My LIFE is not made harder because of the color of my skin. My black friend Kellon’s is. My brown daughter Laila runs into it at work on the daily. 😞


Change your mind.

No comments: