Saturday, June 20, 2020

Anti-racism starts at home Rally


The ANTI-racism rally in Bountiful went great!  I didn’t know really how this was going to go down.  We were hoping for 50-500 people and we got around 500.  Most everyone wore a mask- which was great , but I truly couldn’t tell who I was talking to.    I advertised and posted on SM all week and passed out flyers and hung up posters.  It was exhausting fighting the “I can’t come to your rally because I’m pro-police” argument.  And “I don’t align with Black Lives Matter Organization, so I’m not coming.”  I just look at these people and say so you're okay with racism in our society, because that’s what the rally is against.   Yes BLM is an organization, but they don’t own these words.  Black Lives Matter is also a social justice movement.  If you believe racism is still happening in our society then I would hope you join the movement.  (You get the idea.)   We don’t you have to pick either or.-- we can be both and.   


We were setting up before the rally and as soon as our Black Lives Matter sign went up-- cars driving past would honk and cheer.  We also got a few cars with people hanging out their windows swearing at us and shouting All lives Matter.  We just smiled and waved back and said "glad you agree black lives matter then.."


At the Rally- my dear friend , Pat OBerg spoke on the racism she has experienced in her life growing up in segregated Kentucky and being one of 3 black kids bussed to a white school and how difficult it was.  She was so great speaking up for all people. “ When one of us hurts, we all hurt.”  We had a band volunteer to play and they did amazing, and set the rally atmosphere.  We had 250 pieces of cardboard and paints etc.. to make signs with.  We had a lot of kids there.   

We had the Bountiful Police represented with the assistant police chief speaking on what changes Bountiful police making with the black lives matter movement.   

It was so good.  We had a huge contingent of marchers walking and shouting…”Anti racism starts at home.”  I was so proud of how the community came together to unite.

I was so grateful so many family members,  ( Addison and Bre’s fam, Monson and LExi’s fam, Landon, Becca and Casey Call fam, Rachel and Nao Lara fam, Jenna Cole, Mark and Jill Welch Fam, Tami and Rob Madsen )   All came and RALLIED!


The sad part is a few hours before the rally I received a text from Laila from her work at Smith’s saying she was in the break room crying because some rude customer was yelling at the pharmacy staff vulgar racial slurs.   So if people think racism is a thing of the past….it’s NOT!  

 ( The  pharmacist stood up for his staff and told the guy he wasn’t allowed to speak to his workers like that, to get out of the store and they wouldn’t be filling his prescription now or ever!)



This is my Instagram post: The anti-racism rally was a success!! Bountiful came out in droves!! So grateful to family and friends who supported this effort. ❤️ So grateful for my powerful friend Pat Oberg who taught us. ๐Ÿ’œ๐Ÿงก๐Ÿ’š๐Ÿ’™People came and we changed at least one heart —someone said to me “My parents have never said Black Lives Matter and tonight they did, and I have a black child.”

๐Ÿ™๐ŸผChange the narrative - teach love, justice, peace and to stand up for the marginalized!












Monson and Lexi came up from Saratoga Springs to support this cause and teach their children.  They asked Tayla if she wanted to do this and she said yes and wrote her own sign-- Just Be Nice!   

My committee was amazing.  Rachel Oberg, Me, Maddi Belnap, Ari Aki, Michelle Wood, Emile Dahl.
Addison's family came out in force.    He shared this on his FB page:  

Anti-racism starts at home! My kids will know where I stand! We’ve got to change the world even if it’s one heart at a time!

You may think- Why Bountiful Utah? Why Davis county? Well thanks for asking- I’LL TELL YOU WHY- because the last time my Black sister born and raised in Bountiful faced horrible racism was TODAY, and it’s not going to be the last. Just because you’ve never experienced it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening right under your nose. We need a change for people of color in our society and I’m going to stand with them and fight for it. 


No comments: