Friday, March 22, 2019

Woman with the Alabaster box

Come Follow Me  family study is going well for us.  (This is after a pretty dismal start between Wayne, Laila and me that ended with tears and high emotion.) We are following Emily Belle Freeman's video helps each week that can be found on youtube called, Don't Miss This.  It's really been beneficial to hear from two institute teachers, who love the New Testament, their extra insight on life and times of that day.

In Luke 7: 36-47 we learn about a woman who shows up at a Pharisee's home with her alabaster box  and begins weeping and washing Jesus feet with her tears and wiping them with her hair.  She kisses his feet and anoints them with ointment.  Simon the Pharisee is appalled because this woman is a sinner and Jesus is letting her touch him.  Jesus answers him with a parable about forgiveness.    One debtor owed the creditor five hundred pence and the other fifty pence, and the creditor forgave both of the debts.  He then asked which loved the creditor more?  Simon answers, " the the one to whom he forgave the most.  "  Jesus then said, (vs. 47)  "I say unto thee, Her sins, which are many, are forgiven; for she loved much; but to whom little is forgiven, the same loveth little."   I was so touched by this.

Love and forgiveness are so tied together.  Does forgiveness come from Love or does Love come from forgiveness?
My not forgiving someone of their trespass or my holding a grudge is like what Nelson Mandela once said,  is me drinking poison and expecting the other person to die.  Only I feel the negativity of it.  Only I ruminate and have thoughts about it.
My withholding of love and forgiveness only hurts me.
We forgive for us.
We love for us.
Jesus knew this- and taught it in a myriad of ways.



No comments: