Monday, March 4, 2019

Tear the roof off friends

We were reading in Mark 2:1-12, in the New Testament, last night about Jesus healing the palsied man.  This man couldn't walk, so four of his friends picked up his bed and carried him to meet and be healed by Jesus.  When they got to the home where Jesus was teaching it was packed with people.  There was no room for them.  They didn't let that stop them.  They loved their friend and were determined to help him.  They found stairs that led to the roof and carried their friend up there.  Then they broke through the clay roof and made a hole big enough to finally lower the crippled man's bed into the room and seek Jesus' healing power.   Jesus forgave the man of his sins and he healed his body, then said, "take up thy bed and walk."  Absolute miracle.

I love this story about forgiveness and healing and I also love this story about fierce friendship.  This man was blessed spiritually, physically and emotionally.  But...if they never found Jesus this day, and the crippled body and sins remained, what this palsied man would still have is four amazing friends who really loved him.

I'm blessed to have friends just like this.  These friends come from all parts of my life- family, neighborhoods, ward, work, and theatre.

 I went through a period of intense mourning.  My mom  got cancer and died and I mourned for two years and just when I thought I could breathe again, Marcie at 54 years old, got cancer and within 4 months she died and two weeks after that my dad passed away from kidney failure.  Four foggy years of death and dying and questioning why?   Four years where I didn't feel like me and wondered if I ever would get rid of the heaviness that moved into my body.  Four years of creeping, dark thoughts and being angry at God.  Through all of this my friends were there to take me to lunch, bring me dinners, call and text me, send me a funny card a week through the mail for a year, invite me to walk and exercise, send me funny meme's, give me hugs, invite on over nighters and get aways and just allow the tears to flow and for me to talk about "my people" as long as I needed to.  It was great having this beautiful safety net of friendship. 

When I said Wayne and I were wanting to adopt at 40 years old-- no one said we were crazy.  They offered total support with a baby shower and gifts and love for our little one.
When I said  Wayne and I were going to start riding bikes-- no one laughed, even when they saw me in my biking spandex.
When I said Laila hit her head and is in the hospital and we don't know if she will live-- they were there instantly with prayers and support.
When I said I wanted to be on stage in a show-- they all came and bought tickets and watched me-- or they did the shows with me.
When I said my child is struggling or my child just came out, or my child is addicted-- only love, a shoulder to cry on and a listening ear was given.  Never judgment
When I said here's my book about my children and some life lessons-- they were thrilled to receive it, interested and some even read it.
When I said I was going into Life Coach school -- they all  believed in me and said, well of course that's a perfect fit for you.
When I said my faith is wavering, I'm doubting, or my testimony is not what it used to be-- they shared their own experiences, their examples and helped me feel like it would all be okay.
When I said I have big dreams and plans-- they didn't discourage.

What ever life has thrown at me- not one friend has walked away.  I know if I were sick in my bed and Jesus was coming to my town and I needed to be healed, my friends would carry me to him and tear the roof off if they had to.

I want to be a tear-the-roof-off kind of friend for them.

_______________________________

I'm headed outta town with two of my favorite cousin friends-- Krystin and Cindy.  We are going to take NYC by storm and Wayne just hopes we don't get arrested.  We have known each other and loved each other and have been in each other's lives from day 1 in 1962.   This trip will be epic that's for sure!
Marcie- one day before she passed away- Cindy, Krystin and Me

No comments: