Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Change your mind

I used to be soooo afraid of spiders. Then I changed my mind.

If there was a spider in my house, I would jump on the bed or couch, scream and make someone else ( my dad or Wayne) remove the spider.  This worked okay until I started having my own children and then all of us would scream and jump on the couch and be pretty immobile, because no one was there to get rid of the spider.  Ridiculous.  So.... I just changed my mind.  I tell myself that I'm a million times bigger than this spider.....I am the giant and can take control and squash the bug, or collect it and even put it outside.  This new thought serves me so much better.  I teach my kids and now grandkids not to be afraid of spiders either and work on changing their minds about all of this.  None of us are afraid of spiders.   We are not a victim of our thoughts-- we just take care of it.  We are working on mice and snakes as well.

I would also NEVER put my hands in dirty dish water - well that's an impossible way to live.  I changed my mind about this too.

In the book Green Eggs and Ham by Dr. Seuss, Sam continues to offer green eggs and ham over and over again to the no named guy who continues to say, "No I do not like green eggs and ham." Then one day he changes his mind and finally tries it.  It was that easy. 
What are my green eggs and ham?

It's worth asking, what am I missing out on in life because of the stories I tell myself about my self?
Here's what I've heard from myself and others....
I'm afraid of spiders.
I'm afraid of being turned down.
I'm afraid of being told no.
I'm not good at making friends.
Making Money is hard.
Losing weight is hard.
I'm messy.
People don't like me.
I don't like crowds.
I don't fly on airplanes.
I don't travel outside the US.
I don't put on a swimsuit.
I don't exercise.
I don't try new things..... I just do the same things over and over.

SO many stories that we could just get over and change our minds about.






No comments: