Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Heroes

My heroes growing up were varied.  Most were from television, sports or music.
Wonder Woman with her gold arm bands, lasso of truth, invisible airplane and awesome hair.   She fought the bad guys, saved the world and looked great doing it.
Barbara Streisand--I wanted to sound just like her and play in  all of the  musical theatre roles she played.  
Mark Spitz- Olympic swimmer with all of the medals.  We watched and wondered at what a great swimmer he was, then we tried to be him in Grandma Butters' swimming pool, racing across the water and practicing our butterfly stroke.   
Donny and Marie who were a little bit country and a little bit rock and roll.  We watched their show religiously and bought all of the purple clothing items offered in Tiger beat magazine. (I just got tickets to their Las Vegas show for this coming September and I'm THRILLED-- a child hood dream come true to see them live and in person)

There is more to being a hero than just admiring someone. 


"Hero” is defined as “a person noted for courageous acts or nobility of character; a person who, in the opinion of others, has special achievements, abilities, or personal qualities and is regarded as a role model or ideal.” 
A beloved book, that I've read numerous times, beginning in the 5th grade when I received it as a gift for my birthday is "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten boom.  It's an autobiography about World War II and Corrie Ten boom being held in a concentration camp for helping a jewish family hide in her home.  It's stirring and heroic about life and forgiveness.  It's stayed with me. I often wonder if I would be as good or as courageous as my hero Corrie Ten Boom?  She set a high bar.

Given these definitions, yes, I have some other heroes. —


Another hero is Sariah, Lehi's wife from the Book of Mormon.  She is pretty amazing and I can really relate to her.  She was dragged into the wilderness with her family because she was obedient to her husband's wishes.  She had to camp for years- my idea of hell- and even had two more  children in the wilderness and only be able to eat raw meat.   She traveled across the ocean to the promised land. She had children who fought and were really mean to each other, who disagreed on how life and religion worked for them. She had her own faith struggles, questioning her husband and the Lord.  She stayed true and loved her husband and endured to the end.  This is a huge heroic saga.  Sariah is only one of three women ( The other two are Isabel- Corianton's harlot and Abish) who's stories  and names we know in the Book of Mormon.  ( There are three others, Eve Sarah and Mary - who are mentioned in passing).  This was a time when women were second class citizens and to even have their names known was a big deal.  So proud of Sariah and her journey that inspires me and keeps me going in my own faith.

Another historical hero is Rosa Parks.  She was tired so she sat down and kept her seat on a bus.  She was tired of the separate but "equal" system, tired of being put down because of her skin color and she was really the impetus for the civil rights movement that started in the 50's and really continues to this day.  I'm grateful that she endured difficult times, systems and people so my Laila and others could have so much more.

I really find so many of my heroes with in my family and friend circles.  People who have gone through difficult trials and circumstances and have kept grateful attitudes and growth.  People who get that life is 50/50.  It's full of difficult struggles and beautiful, lovely times.  It's called the human experience and Corrie Ten Boom, Sariah and Rosa Parks all embodied this.

My sister Marcie  fits in this category too.   She was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer the first part of May 2015 and was in heaven 3 1/2 months later.  She endured gracefully and gratefully. It was a rollercoaster of emotion filled with deep struggle and heightened highs.  She had so much hope and was courageous and inspiring up until the end.  A noble daughter of God. (It's her 58th birthday today but she only got to see 54 of these.)

I have now realized I don't have to look far for my heroes.   That today my heroes sit on benches with me at sacrament meeting, work with me in my callings and job,  and surround my kitchen table.


No comments: