Sunday, November 20, 2022

Grace lesson at the Synagogue

While in Israel we went to Capernaum where Jesus taught in a synagogue when he was 12.  I wonder what he spoke about?……. Maybe how we should love one another and have grace for each other.  


We sat on the thousands-of-year-old stone benches and our guide gave us the history of this site it was very interesting.  


Then things changed and he got on a tangent against the youth of today and how he’s afraid for his grand kids future, how he’s worried about them and wants to save them from all that’s out there in the world.    I was shaking my head, wishing that Elder Lund would take over and share, but the guide went on about how the church was wrong when it got rid of scouts  and what’s up with the new For strength of Youth pamphlet? He said the youth of today don’t know how to set goals and don’t want to work and on and on.


 I couldn’t take any more. 


So I just said, to Wayne and those around me, “ If he doesn’t stop talking I’m going to punch him” and stood up and left the synagogue and took my ear bud out so I wouldn’t have to hear anymore.  Some others walked out with me. We were all rolling our eyes, filled with judgement.


Grace has been my word this year and I’ve been feeling pretty good about my practice of it, wrapping grace around people and circumstances and staying compassionate and curious, ….. until this happened.


I forgot about GRACE while sitting in the synagogue in Capernaum where Jesus taught,  and my “natural woman” took over.

 

Wayne on the other hand, stayed and  raised his hand and offered a different perspective and praised the youth  of today and reminded all that,  “We don’t need to save anyone. We have a Savior for that.  We don’t need to fear. ”  I’m so proud of him for standing up for our youth, for truth and righteousness and for wrapping grace around all of this.


I said a prayer, put myself in timeout and I managed my thoughts and worked on grace for my guide and those on my bus trip and people I would bump into at the different tourist sites. I shook off the judgment and got into compassion and curiosity and remembered that everyone was just trying their best, and if they knew better they could do better.  My synagogue lesson was a good reminder after all.    


Now I’m at the end of my year, with Grace always out in front of me, trying to get it to be a natural part of me.    


I’m grateful for the continual grace Jesus offers me.  He let’s me mess up and return to him again and again- always loving, always merciful, always preaching, “love one another.”

No comments: