Sunday, November 15, 2020

26 days of gratitude pt. 1


I love me some November!!  Thanksgiving is on the 26th so I’m counting 26 blessings between now and then.       


Nov 1:   Grateful for holidays. Especially in this time of Covid. Halloween was a riot even with smaller gatherings and very few trick or treaters.


Nov. 2:  Grateful for Fast Sundays and the hearing and bearing of testimony of Jesus Christ.   It’s so strengthening to be able to share this with one another. 


Nov 3:  Grateful for the right to vote.  Grateful for all of the strong, opinionated women who went before me who made it possible for me to vote. 


Grateful day 4:  A memory that I’m really grateful for is from 2015.  During my dad’s last days on this earth he gave each of his children a father's blessing. He was too weak to stand so he sat in a chair and we sat on the floor in front of him. I remember the feel of his hands on my head and the kind words he spoke. I remember the tears. I remember thinking in just a few weeks he’ll be in heaven. It was bitter sweet.   I have it recorded and it's wonderful to hear his voice and remember.




Grateful #5: There is an item in my home I am so grateful for. It’s a toilet.  Indoor plumbing, am I right?  Also  my computer. It allows me to work from home in a job I enjoy and it connects me to the outside world.   OH, and I can’t forget my refrigerator, or my cozy bed… I could go on and on. So many conveniences to be thankful for.


#6:  Grateful for sunsets. Sunsets have special meaning for me. They are a reassurance that God sees us and is in charge.  The year my momma died I set a nightly alarm on my phone so I wouldn’t miss the sunset. I would walk down to the bottom of our street and stand there and think of mom and count my blessings. I see love in the colors and feel a prayer in my heart that all is well. 


A Bountiful Sunset


#7.  I’m grateful for the Book of Mormon.  It is what keeps me in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  If I have any questioning or experience disappointment within the church, I just remember my testimony of Jesus Christ which is sustained by the Book of Mormon and I’m “all in” once again.  It’s the bedrock of my testimony.  


#8. (What lesson in life are you most grateful for experiencing). Motherhood.  It’s been a rollercoaster ride.  When I married Wayne I told him I never wanted to have kids…he replied, “we’ll see”…. and now five kids later I wouldn’t trade the ups and downs and all of the in-between lessons  of being a mother for anything.  I have grown in compassion and empathy, curiosity and I hope, kindness. I know how to love fully and forgive deeply.   I have grown in my faith and testimony of Jesus Christ and know that all will be made right that’s unfair in this life.  I love all of my children —straight and LGBTQ—  they each bring their own set of struggles and beautiful blessings.  


#9. Grateful for travel. Life long goal is to travel the world. I have loved being introduced to exotic places and cultures. China, Paris, Mexico, London, my beloved Scotland and so many glorious parts of the fifty, nifty United States.  I’m grateful for plans and having places to travel to look forward to.(Israel) Especially as we are all stuck at home. 


#10 When I think of something in my childhood that I'm grateful for, My Grandma Butters swimming pool tops the list. This was our go-to fun all summer long   It truly was a slice of heaven.  Night swims, sleepovers, skinny dipping, birthday parties, ALL the summer holidays happened here.  This is where we swam with our cousins and made life long friendships. This is the same pool my own children grew up swimming in at least three times a week all summer.    I look back on my golden childhood and see it’s even more golden because of this pool.  


#11.  I’m thankful for music.  I’m thankful, currently, for Christmas music..the old classics and the new tunes too.  My mom always had Christmas music playing all year long, and she requested “Joy to the World”, “Were you There” and “Silent Night”- the jazz version sung at her funeral.  It was amazing.


I was thinking about 5 love songs that thrill me….. these are what I’ve come up with:   

My 5 love songs: 

  1. “Somebody to Love” by Queen 
  2. “You’re just to good to be true” by Frankie Valli and The Four Seasons 
  3. “Love will keep us together” by the Captain and Tenneil 
  4. “Come what may”   - Moulin Rouge 
  5. “Your song” by Elton John 


These could all change tomorrow…but right now, I am in love, thinking about my Wayne and singing all of these!


#12. I’m grateful for my morning routine.  I  roll out of bed, brush my teeth, and then play my scriptures… a chapter a day of the Book of Mormon. Then I listen to a podcast devotional about what I just read in Come Follow Me-Daily Dose.  Exercise is next… usually a walk with Laila’s dog, or Wayne, or a friend.  I love walking and getting out in nature.  If I’m alone I listen to more podcasts… some of my favorites are:  

All In. 

Listen Learn and Love.  

The Sisterhood Podcast. 

Cultivate a Good life.

Brenee Brown- Unlocking Us  

Jen Hatmaker’s For the Love.  


#13 One piece of advice that I’m grateful for was posted over the door way in my Grandparent’s home.  


“People are more important than things”.  

My Grandma and Grandpa Butters had  many nice things, and they shared their backyard “pool-thing”  with everyone. They were rich in $ and in love. So they could have been caught up in their “things and stuff,”  but they were not.  They truly prioritized people above all.  When we remember my grandparents the two  things that come up are ‘Love one another” and “People are more important than things.”   It’s good to remember this advice on my Grandma Butters birthday.  She would have been 105 today which is also appropriate since it’s World Kindness Day! 




#14.   Grateful for rejection. It's all part of thte 50/50 of life.  

I really wanted to play the witch in “Into the woods” and many years ago I auditioned for this part and I didn’t get it. I had a pity party. 

But this rejection opened the door for me to audition for “ Five Carols for Christmas.  And had I made “Into the Woods” I wouldn’t have auditioned. “Five Carols for Christmas” brought me some of my bestest friends. I’m so grateful for all my Carols. I’m grateful I was rejected so then I could have this bounteous blessing.  Being a theater actress there are many times to feel and get rejected. It’s actually really good practice for life.


Kenny Plain, Lindsey Garside, Me, Maurie Tarbox, Jan Smith, Julie Blatter, Jim Christian


The saying Everything happens for a reason is true as long as you find reason in everything.  


#15.    We moved Monson and Lexi into their new Layton home and that's a lot of work!  BUT....I’m grateful my body can DO these things.  I don’t have any regular occurring aches and pains.  I know many people who do.   Currently, my legs ache from climbing up and down on to tall stools for 5 hours while I painted Monson and Lexi’s master bedroom a gorgeous green.  And my right arm aches from moving the roller up and down and back and forth…but I like all of these aches.  It feels good to know I can still do all of this.   I’m grateful to be able to hike and bike and walk for miles.  I love my body.  




No comments: