Monday, September 1, 2014

Social Media Fast

I have been off Social Media for the past 5 weeks.  It has been an eye opening experience.  No Facebook, no Instagram, no Twitter.... I called it my Social media fast. I wanted to cleanse my brain and my time.

It's been nice to be "free" from my phone and checking it so much.

What happens to me and many others, is we turn to our phones when we are waiting in lines, or waiting at the doctors office, or waiting for the light to turn green, or even sitting with family and friends.. ...well you get the idea.  What did I do before my smart phone?  I actually had to be with my thoughts, make eye contact, greet and acknowledge other's presence and make conversation.

I want to return to this.

Not being on Social Media givse me so much more to talk about and catch up on when I'm with friends and relatives.  I am having conversations that we would not have had because I would have "seen it" already.  I like having conversations.  I like connecting with people.  This is why I thought Social media would be fun for me, but it's really a conversation killer.  Been there, seen that.   Being on smartphones so much is really isolating.

My fast would have been easier if I was a mom of younger kids...but all of children have a smart phone and post about their lives, including my grandkids pics, and  I definitely missed out.  Many times Wayne would show me something just to stay in the loop.  I was not as internet connected to family and friends.  Phone calls  and conversations used to help spread the news about an engagement, a baby birth, a move...with my "fast" I didn't get the news.

I missed out on the whole ALS Ice Bucket challenge...this is a good and a bad thing.

This isn't a rant against Social Media.... it's here to stay and ever evolving but.....we need to be responsible with all of this Social media we have around us.  It can be used for good or bad.  Let's be uplifting and caring about what we post to each other.  We also need to connect with each other person to person...not just screen to screen.

I'm back on now.... I got in this morning.

It's a requirement for my job to have a facebook account and more.  This is a great way to advertize and share what's going on with our online school.  I get this. It's also a powerful tool for our church. It's a great way to spread the good word and do a little missionary work.  I get this.

BUT........

I'm not going to return to my old ways.  I will not be checking it as often.  I will not let it take over my time.  I'm going to post more thoughtfully.  My goal is to look up, really be there...where ever I am, and connect.

No comments: