Thursday, April 27, 2023

Sing a Rainbow

 I've had the opportunity to create and direct the Special Needs program for the south davis area this year.  

It's been a beautiful creative experience for me.  
Some highlights:  The Annie girls singing their guts out- including my Holly, who just loves this song.  One of the Minions flinging himself on his back and doing some spontaneous break dancing.   The “Color” Jokes– with the drummer doing the rim shots– so good.  Jacob as Joseph in his colored coat posing and smiling.  Green Shrek  guitar players, racing around the stage.  Blue Genie’s  having a lone couple off to the right of the big group doing their own choreography.   Asking the audience to turn on their phone lights for  the second time that we sing “Somewhere over the rainbow” and having the cast on stage gasp.  I love all of the directors that helped with their groups and made every person feel important.  The costumes were DARLING-  Janell is so creative in this arena.  The Troll hair is my favorite!    Erin and Mitch Perkins were my go-to peeps with stage set up, slide show, photos and music mp3’s.  I couldn’t have done it without all of this amazing help. 

I love spreading the Rainbow message of Grace.   When I see a rainbow I feel and see of God’s love and grace for all of us.  Working with these special needs kids I notice we give them a lot of grace.  We give them a lot of breaks. We don’t expect perfection.  We accept whatever offering they give.   They say some things that would be considered rude– but we give them grace because of who they are.   It would be such a beautiful world if we could do this for everyone we meet.  We are all special in  God’s eyes and we all have varying needs….. Rainbows remind me of Grace.  IT’s good to remember this lesson.

I reached out to ward, neighbors, family and friends to do this with me.  I needed to find 6 directors to be in charge of 6 color groups.  I'm so grateful that Erin and Mitch Perkins, Laurie Leishman, Misty Mayfield, Angie Smith, Kristi Farr, Lynne Kelly, All of the Edgar family, Jo Murdock and Jan Hedberg said yes and jumped in to help.

Our Costumer Janell Roundy really did such a great thing.. we got rainbow colored t-shirts as the base costume, then each group had costume pieces added for the various songs.

The Yellow group - is our Minion group.  They sing the song, "Because I'm Happy"

The Purple Group is our Trolls group - they sing the song, "Get Back up again."

The Orange group is our "Hakuna Matata" Animanl group

The Blue group all look like Genies from Aladdin and sing, "Friend like me"

The Red group sing "Tomorrow" from Annie

The Green group are dressed like Shrek and perform, "I'm a Believer"

It's been a great experience for me and a great reminder about GRACE.    

We end the show doing Sign language to Somewhere Over the Rainbow-- with Steve Yancey- our blind piano player showing his talent and playing along.  We all perform the color song from JOSEPH and the Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat.. with Jacob Merrill as Joseph strutting around in the colored coat. 
  We finish with 4 verses of  "I am a Child of GOd".   My life is blessed. 


No comments: