Thursday, January 23, 2020

The Big 18!

 Our Laila is 18 and I can't believe it.  She is thrilled of course to start doing "adult" things, but I m sitting here shaking my head wondering where the time has gone?
Laila had a great birthday...she didn't have school because of Jr. ACT testing, so she got to sleep in - one of her favorite things to do.  Once she woke up she came downstairs to a Laila shrine and big "18" balloons with 18 cards from family and friends on a string.  She sat on the stairs and read the cards, tears streaming down her cheeks and commented on how loved she was.  So true.  She went to lunch with friends, facetimed George and Eileen in Scotland, got all sorts of social media greetings and nice texts from friends and then out to dinner with more friends.   We are having a big family celebration on Sunday when Truman gets into town. 

The one thing Laila wanted to do when she turned 18 and the one thing Wayne and I tried to talk her out of, even scold her out of, almost punish her out of, her idea of getting a tattoo.   Then I re-evaluated.   I want Laila to know that WHO she is is way more important than how she looks.  
She got an air glider on her side rib. 

 She was just going to sneak off and do it, which I'm so grateful she didn't. Instead she told us what was happening and knew she didn't have our blessing, but she wanted to be upfront about it.  That's the adult thing to do.  I was proud of her for that.    

So now we have 3 of our 5 children with tattoos.  I never thought I would have this as part of my children's lives, but in reality and in the eternal scheme of things, it's a big so what. 

Laila has learned that we won't like everything she does in this life or all of her choices, but we will always love her. 

For her birthday we have opened the door for her to start the process to find her birth mother.  We are just going to say our prayers and trust that this is all going to work out for the best. 

I love this beautiful girl and it's been a joy to watch her grow from a gorgeous baby to a darling toddler, cute grade-schooler, petulant jr. high kid and now a confident 18-year-old. 

Happy Birthday Laila shrine








No comments: