Thursday, January 23, 2020

Life lessons from a snow swing

I went winter hiking up a beautiful canyon Saturday morning. The snow was fresh.  We blazed the trail and the blue sky was making everything sparkle. I didn’t even know I enjoyed winter hiking until this year.  With the right equipment and clothing, it really is exhilarating. I hiked up the canyon with four other adventurous women. We saw fresh bobcat tracks, gazed at frozen waterfalls and made snow angels. 

About a mile and a half up, there is a wonderful tree swing that is just begging to be used.  I climbed up to a small rock landing to swing on the swing, which was totally doable for me. One of the ladies said, “Let’s do a time-lapse video of all of us going off of the taller rock landing. I will help you.” So I succumbed and went to the higher rock.   

Marie held the rope between my legs, while I struggled to get the wooden 4X4 seat between them. At some point Marie let go of the rope, thinking I was ready, which I was NOT!  The seat shot out from between my legs. I swung forward and did a lovely slow-motion dive into the snow. (We got it all on video of course.) Everyone laughed. Thank goodness for a fluffy-white-snow landing.   The good news is I wasn’t hurt-- which is glorious. The better news is I climbed back up to the taller rock and did it again, successfully this time.

The BEST news is…. There’s a coaching lesson in all of this.
I know you are thinking “when you fall off of a swing try try again. “ 
Which is a good one, but this week I’m going with circumstances vs. thoughts.
The circumstance was I didn’t get on the swing and fell into the snow.
My thoughts could have gone to many different places including I’m so dumb.  I’m so embarrassed.  Why do I try these things? I wish I was stronger.  This shouldn’t be that hard.
I’m too old for this. 
But
These thoughts NEVER serve me or lead me to a full, FUN, fulfilling life.
Instead
While lying in the snow, after a body check to see if I was all okay, my thoughts were- That was crazy.  That was funny. I’m going to try this again and do it.  
Same circumstance, different thoughts.
I’m glad my thoughts served me and got me back up to the rock to try try again.  
Life is good even when face planting into snow.

No comments: