Tuesday, October 24, 2023

Sidetracked--the BAND

 

I'm in a band!! I always wanted to say those words and have them be true.

 I call it a geriatric band because we play at rest homes all over the Wasatch Front....but only on Tuesdays at 2 p.m.    I get to do this gig with Garth Oborn, Nick Cash, and Rob Nisbett on Guitar with Angie Smith, Maren Thomasma, and Kimi Farley as back up singers.  Kimi also adds flute playing to a couple of songs including "California Dreaming."  Add  Bob Farley on the Keyboards and base guitar and Emily Farr showing up every once in a while for a solo-- she just had a baby.  

  It's been a blast.  Singing old, feel-good tunes is fun.  You are my Sunshine, Take me out to the Ballgame, How great thou art, Amazing Grace, This little light of mine, Ferry cross the Mersey, You were on my Mind, California Dreamin, Sweet Caroline, Bye Bye love, I can See clearly now, Angel from Montgomery, I'm a Believer and Heavenly Father loves me/Give said the Little Stream.   We are currently working on a Christmas set.

Garth Oborn put this band together.  He calls it his ministry.  He had his granddaughter in as lead singer until she went on her mission, and I took over. 

This is a legit band with microphones and sound equipment, speakers and a mixing board.  Wayne is key to helping us sound good...he keeps us all in mic-check and if he doesn't like how we sound, he just turns off our mic. 


No comments: