Thursday, June 29, 2023

My year of eating dangerously

When I turned 60 last July, I gave myself permission to STOP the madness and get off the dieting rollercoaster that I have put myself on since I was 13.   I wasn't going to weigh myself or adjust what I put in my mouth and just enjoy the moment - food and all.

The result is I'm heavier than I have ever been in my life and I'm okay with that.  I'm freaking 60 years old-- I'm not a youthful sex kitten, I'm a wise woman who has lived a full life!  AND when I turn off the media that idolizes youth, I feel good in my skin. 

I still find myself- because of 50 years of training- looking at other people's bodies and judging them. I compare myself to them on a better-than or less-than scale - weight, body, and looks-wise. I'm sad that I do this..and I keep telling my brain to knock it off.   It's deeply ingrained.    

I know I have at least 30 more years on this earth and I want to stay active, and healthy, but I also DON'T want to be caught up in this trap anymore.  I just want to enjoy life and stop the comparison.  

I see pictures of me and sometimes I don't recognize my round face.  My clothes fit on the tight end... so I'll just buy new clothes.  And if I  happen to shrink a size or two that's also fine.  


No comments: