Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Flip flopping or Growth?


I get tired of hearing media, and people, family members even, say that Senator Mitt Romney is a flip-flopper because he had one opinion and thought process and now he has another one.   What?!? 

When we know more or know better we do better.  Opinions and policies change.  It's called growth.  

Mitt doesn't just align to a party.  He's not a YES man.  He considers and votes and speaks out according to his conscience.  I appreciate this about him.  (This is called personal revelation in my church) 

I  voted differently this year.  I don't see it as flip-flopping.  I see it as growth.  I'm moving away from what's in it for me and my fear of higher taxes and moving towards what I see as the higher good.

I voted for my gay sons and sister, and my black daughter. I voted for my neighbors of color, the immigrants separated from their children at the border, the 554 children who can't find their parents,  people without healthcare, and everyone suffering the physical and financial effects of Covid with zero leadership. I voted for the earth. I voted for women. I voted for representation that looks like America.  I voted for decency and statesmanship and diplomacy and hope. I voted for empathy and compassion.

The world changes and getting out of my little "me" bubble has been a worthwhile struggle. 

How do you get to be more open-minded?

How do you get out of your own echo chamber- seeing memes and opinions on Social media that only agree with you?

Some ideas:

1. Diversify your life- seek out people who are different than you and talk to them. Hear their stories. The closer you get the less you can hate.  Put a face, a name, or a story to it and compassion happens. Think how much of society's ideas, prejudices and opinions toward the LGBTQ community have changed? (of course, we still have a long way to go)

This isn't called flip-flopping...this is called growth. 

2. Follow accounts that are different than you.  Try more liberal, more body love, more BIPOC, follow other religions even.

3. Read books that tell different stories than your white, conservative, suburban life. I just finished a book about a Palestinean woman living in New York, it was eye-opening. "A woman is no man" by Etaf Rum.

4. Sit with new ideas.  Don't just dismiss out of hand.  Growth is uncomfortable.

Ask, "Why do I feel uncomfortable with this?  Am I feeling defensive because it's wrong? or is it right and I need to do the changing?"

5. Get curious.  See a perspective through another person's lens. There is a difference between listening to respond or listening to understand. 

There was a recent viral video of a man being chased by a cougar off of a mountain for 6 minutes.  Everyone felt so afraid for the man and so sorry for him.  What about the cougar?  She was protecting her young.  She was in fierce momma mode and I honor her for that. 

I have even used this in relation to Pres. Trump.  I have compassion for him.  It would be hard to be him. If I had his life experiences I might have those same viewpoints.  He's also a child of God. 

6. Move forward and question all from a place of love, not fear.

Finally, give grace to others around all of this. We have more in common than not, we are all part of the same human family with loved ones and feelings, and we all want what we think is best. 

 

No comments: