Sunday, May 15, 2016

My Laila Day talk in Church

LET THE HOLY SPIRIT GUIDE
SING: 
 Let the Holy Spirit guide; Let him teach us what is true.
He will testify of Christ, Light our minds with heaven's view.
Let the Holy Spirit guard; Let his whisper govern choice.
He will lead us safely home If we listen to his voice.
 Let the Spirit heal our hearts Thru his quiet, gentle pow'r.
May we purify our lives To receive him hour by hour.
…. I love music.  It always touches my heart and teaches me.   In this hymn we learn about what the Holy Spirit can do for us… Teach, Testify, Enlighten, Guard, Guide, purify, govern and Heal….All of these words that describe the holy spirits function can be found when we seek personal revelation .      
Personal revelation is one of the greatest gifts and blessings we can receive. My remarks are based on a talk given by Elder Kendrick of the Quorum of the 70’s.  In it he says that  Personal Revelation  involves preparation, prayer, and promptings.

1. Preparation….  Receiving personal revelation is not a passive process.  We must prepare for these sacred experiences.  President Spencer W. Kimball told us that, “God reveals himself to people who are prepared for such manifestations.”    There are many things we should do to properly prepare to receive personal revelation, I will just mention one…develop a spirit of reverence.   Boyd K. Packer counseled, “Inspiration comes more easily in peaceful settings.  He added. “irreverence suits the purposes of the adversary by obstructing the delicate channels of revelation in both mind and spirit, “ and  he also said, “reverence invites revelation.   We live in a hurry up, noisy world…yet the spirit speaks in a still, small voice.    IF we want to access revelation more easily…then reverence is necessary.
2.  Prayer .  Pray often and ponder before we pray.   We must follow the counsel found in 2 Nephi 9:52, to “Pray unto him continually by day and give thanks unto his holy name by night. “  As I have studied this topic, I know it is not the duration of our prayers but the depth of our desire that results in revelation.   We need to study it out in our mind then ask.   We musk ask in faith, humility, sincerity and with intensity…then wait for answers.  In a world of instant communication, we are prone to become impatient and want instant answers to our prayers.  God always answers prayers, but He does it in his own way and in His own time.  Remember this counsel found in doctrine and Covenants 101:12, “Be still and know that I am God.”
3. Promptings.  One of the most important parts of our communications with Heavenly Father is the ability to recognize the means by which He speaks to us through the promptings of the Spirit.  If we have properly prepared, we will become sensitive to these promptings
This Flow of inspiration depends on Faith….I want to share a personal story with you about my fight with revelation…and finally being still long enough to hear and accept it…and the blessings that followed.
Today is May 15th. It’s a special holiday in our family….it’s Laila Day… her gotcha day… Lailas adoption into our family was a miracle and we thank the Lord daily for this beautiful child of God. 
When our boys were 9, 11, 13 and 15 years old… we were  feeling like someone was missing.  Wayne and I have 4 wonderful sons, and I LOVE my boys…but I always wanted a daughter named after my Grandma Eulala Butters whom I adored. My aunt and Uncle were in China teaching English and spending time at the orphanages and telling us about all these black haired baby girls that nobody wanted that  needed families.   We started praying about adoption for our family.  We studied out the situation, figured out our finances and kept praying.……this would be a big change for our family and Wayne and I were 40….so… I  kept making deals with the Lord. Things like….if Sara Rigby  who is adopted, sits by me in Relief Society then we will adopt.  Sara would sit by me.  Or … If we are chosen to be the witness couple in a temple session, then we would adopt.  We were the witness couple.    Or If I see a picture of a Chinese baby in this magazine I am reading we will adopt…there was a picture.  Every time I asked  the Lord.. I received a clear answer….we were supposed to adopt.  Someone was counting on us.  This is the only time in my life I remember this happening  so clearly.  SO….. the Welches were going to adopt…and in my dreams I would see a black haired little girl. We started  paying money for VISAS and  adoption fees to China, getting our family home studies done and we were thinking that in about 2 years we would have a new 2 year old sister for our boys.  It was a gut wrenching, tender time… so many tears, so many social workers, so much money and  red tape…. But we felt held up by the spirit this whole time.  5 months into this process we received a phone call out of the blue from an adoption agency in Philadelphia  who was calling contacts all over the country who knew someone who knew my cousin, who told them about us….that a little black haired  3 month old baby girl was ready to be adopted right now…and the birth momma didn’t want the baby to go into any kind of foster care but to a family who was ready with home studies and fees in place right now…. That was us.   Now 14 years later I look back on that time as a testimony builder time.  The Lord was aware of the achings of my heart… and answered my prayers over and over again…and as we followed the promptings of the spirit to know what to do  thinking we were going the Chinese route, the Lord knew better and we were blessed with our daughter Laila.  She was an answer to our prayers…and  personal revelation.
 It is a tender experience to petition our Heavenly Father in sincere, heartfelt prayer and know that He will respond with personal revelation. His promises are sure. I testify Revelation will come if we prepare, pray and listen to promptings then follow through with Faith. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen

No comments: