Friday, August 5, 2022

My obsession

I’m obsessed with my kids. I think they are the greatest.  I love watching their lives unfold. These are my current thoughts on each of these amazing creatures...


Addison is so creative and out of the box and has made the most of his talents with art, theatre, dance and photography. He’s a lover and goes along with most things. In fact he avoids conflict like the plague.  He craves spontaneity and wants adventure because he doesn’t want his life to become stale. He’s always up for a trip to Disneyland , a good dance party and good food.   Every once in a while he has a big opinion- and so you better listen.  He has a strong silently stubborn streak.  He won’t eat leftovers and believes in expiration dates on food.  I love talking to Addison and sharing stories about his kids and theatre people or to just shoot the breeze. Addison was recently diagnosed with ADHD and because of meds is a new man.  He can accomplish and do what he plans now. 


Landon is my go to when I want to chat.  He can stay on the phone for hours and never runs out of things to say and have an opinion about. This is also what makes him a great hair stylist/barber— he can talk to his clients about anything.   He fights for the underdog, probably because he remembers how it felt in school when he was teased about being gay.  He has the biggest heart and really likes helping people. He is a problem solver. He likes people to just say it…not beat around the bush, so then “it” can be talked about.  He’s quick to decide on things, because they are just things, and if he gets it wrong,  he just decides on another thing.  Landon is always gung-ho about all of my ideas -my number one supporter. Landon believes in all of the woo woo sciences- crystals, energy healing and the like just like his grandma Sheri. 


Truman is my do anything, try everything guy. He wants to experience ALL of life.  He has some very wild, funny stories as a result of this.  He likes nice things and likes things “just so.”  He has expensive taste and figures out ways to “look” just right on a shoestring budget.  He has a harsh inner critic and I don’t like that he beats himself up. When he was little he asked lots of questions and still does. He likes tradition around family stuff and doesn’t really love when things change.  Tru is cutting edge, pushes the boundaries and likes to shock. He’s about social issues and the environmental causes.  Tru keeps his calendar booked, but will reach out periodically, but mostly I have to text him for a “proof of life” check.  


Monson comes across as a big teddy bear, he gets along with most everyone…but he can be a grizzly.  You mess with him or his family and he is ready to take you down or cut you out of his life.  You are now dead to him.  Monson is very loyal.  He likes having plans but really likes when plans are cancelled so he can stay in and get cozy. He’s very stubborn. He will not do what he doesn’t want to do…. period.  Monson is ambitious in a behind the scenes kind of way, and has big dreams and schemes and wants to have all the money.  Monson is so funny and has a giant barking laugh that is a joy to listen to. Monson never calls me just to talk. But I do see him most every Sunday for a couple of hours and we have good in person conversations then.


Laila is so unique in many ways….. at least she thinks she is. She is figuring things out in California and being with Markus.  She’s figuring out who she is and what she wants in life and I get to have a front row seat to this, when she lets me.  Let’s just say many phone calls and texts go on answered. She can lay in her bed for hours.. and feel just fine about it. I’m glad she has her dog, so she has to get up and out and meet people. She is good at withdrawing from the world at times.  On the flip side, she is great with connecting with outsiders— with people she has just barely met. She was always enthusiastic at answering phones or meeting strangers at school or church.  She is good at her Pharmacy tech job with customers because of this. Laila hates playing board games and watching rom-coms and sappy movies that make her cry.  She’s very empathetic and doesn’t want to spend her emotional energy on that. She is my theatre buddy and seeing all the shows together is a joy. 


❤️The love I have for my own children might be the only consistent thing that I know for sure. It just arrived with them like it just came as part of the package and this love has only grown. 

No comments: