Thursday, May 14, 2020

Wise words ignored...





I want to write something to my graduate that she will remember and that will stick with her and maybe change her life.


Here’s what I know, the wise words I tell her now will be ignored no matter how true they are or how much they will help. I know this because my mom did the same for me and I ignored her advice and only later recollected once I had experienced some of my own life; had some of my own ups and downs. 

 Nevertheless, I will try….

My AWESOME LAILA,

-- Do what makes you happy - sounds good right? I mean who doesn’t want to be happy? The thing is pursuing happiness rarely makes you happy - at least not for long. Happiness isn’t a bad thing,
but it’s not the goal of life. LIfe is 50/50 and it’s good to have all the feelings, to enjoy the ups and the downs because that’s what makes an amazing life. Making happiness your goal will never work. Pursue goodness. Pursue peace.
Laila with Daniel Mason and Molly Moon

-- No one thinks you are more terrific than I do. But a lot of people, especially young people, shrug off glaring faults and bad behavior by declaring proudly, “That’s just who I am.” That’s a cop out. Don’t just be yourself, be the best version of yourself and know that you are always growing. Change and Grow -- that’s the key.


-- Think beyond the MOMENT. Don’t just live for the moment. Don’t worry and Don’t fret, but think beyond the moment. When the fun of the moment is over, you are stuck with the consequences.


-- You can take the road less traveled by and you can take the road well traveled. Both are okay. You don’t have to do your “own thing.” History is full of people who have blazed a trail for you….it’s often wise to stay on it and walk that trail in your own way.



--- Follow your conscience not just your heart. Following your heart or your gut feeling is not always the best way to make decisions. Write down a pro and con list. Weigh things out. Then decide. Once you decide be ALL IN. And then if it doesn’t work out, make another plan and make a list and decide. You can’t go wrong with good sense and good morals.


-- Set goals and remember…. You can do anything as long as you BELIEVE -- and work hard and the timing is right and other factors such as people, and your health and pandemics and weather etc...do not stand in your way. There are some factors beyond your control. There are sometimes limitations. Remember that life is not about reaching some far-off goal just to prove you can. The best success is a life, sometimes a seemingly ordinary life, lived in love and devotion to GOD and to others. Believe in that. 
Laila with Ammon Clark


No comments: