Friday, May 8, 2020

Miracle of the Cap and Gown



I did it again. I failed Laila.


Not only is Laila’s senior year at an anti-climactic low, but THE one day when she was supposed to go to the school for the Graduation picture for the virtual graduation, and be with other senior friends, we didn’t have the correct cap and gown. Oh, I thought we did. I actually ordered Laila’s gown back in January. Paid my money and then my friend said, “Oh I have my daughter’s cap and gown from last year, you can use it”, so I went back online and canceled my order and got just the 2020 tassel instead.

We are now to this picture day. Laila gets all dressed up and we grab the white cap and gown and head down the hill. As we pull into the parking lot we see girls wearing red robes… so I say, No problem, we also have a red one at home. We drive back home grab the red robe and start again. We are walking to the field house and noticing the robes everyone is wearing and they are not like the red robe in my hand at all. Laila starts to panic and gets mad at me and can’t even talk. I feel the daggers she is shooting at me. “Why didn’t you just order me a cap and gown?” “I did.” I go on to explain and how I canceled it.

What to do? We figure other students might be in this same mess so we continue to the staging area.

I’m mad. Why didn’t BHS send an email saying, the gown is new this year - very ornate, red with gray piping and a “B” on the shoulder. Why didn’t they message that if you had an old cap and gown they wouldn’t work this year? I was seething as I spoke to the admin and the Jostens guy telling them my thoughts.


We borrowed a robe for Laila from Jostens for the picture.

Laila was embarrassed. We stopped speaking to each other.

We got in a socially distanced line for pictures and then Laila noticed everyone else’s honor cords etc… “Mom, did you order my cords? “ Are you kidding me! This was not my job.

We got out of line to find her honor cords. We went to the school secretary, Karen, and asked where these would be? Karen said they are in Laila’s bag. I explained once more why Laila didn’t have a bag, and she searched for the cords for us. Then Karen said, I’m pretty sure I put together a full bag with Laila’s name on it. I told her that it was impossible since I canceled her gown order.

MIRACLE! Karen pulled out Laila’s bag from the “w” box. The order wasn’t canceled.

Laila had a bag with her name on it filled with the proper cap and gown and tassel and honor cords and medallion.


Hallelujah!

Laila went from “my mom is the worst and I’m so embarrassed”...to sunshine and smiles in a split second.

I was saved! Thank you Jesus!

God knows Laila. He knows what’s important to her right now. And having the correct cap and gown and looking like everyone else is important to the girl who mostly looks different from the kids in her school.


I know I had canceled this but God took over and made this miracle happen anyway.


















No comments: