Wednesday, September 12, 2018

What is she doing here?

I have walked on the boulevard for decades.  It's my thing.  I look forward to it.  My day starts the very best when I get a good walk in.  There are so many people walking with me in their own little worlds. 
I see old, young, happy, solemn, headphones in, talking to self, smiling,  in groups or solo.
I see an older couple hand in hand walking in  skirt and trousers, alongside a runner in lululemon spandex. 
I see mostly white faces, sometimes  beautiful brown but today I saw a woman with a toddler in a stroller with a smiling black face. 
I was kind of jarred.
Why?
I am not a racist.  I pride my self on being open minded and compassionate. I am the champion of the marginalized and underdog!
YET
Here I was with crazy, random thoughts...of what's she doing here?
I had to stop and check my thoughts.

Wow...  I would never articulate what's going on inside my head, but these thoughts were real for me. I was stunned.

I needed to stop, say a prayer and ask forgiveness and move on to better thoughts. 

She is a child of God, just like me.   She is a momma, just like me.  She likes to be outside and walk, just like me.  She lives in Bountiful, just like me.... and that's what she's doing here.

I have seen her a couple of more times on my boulevard walk, and  I smile and say, " Hi"...and continue to replace my original thoughts with healthier, more loving ones.     Everyone's a little bit Racist is a song from the musical Avenue Q.  It is a social commentary on racism and parodies how wrong it it  but how prevalent it is.   It ends with this line...
"Everyone does it, you probably do it, so be forgiving and understanding."

..... so we need to give everyone, even our selves, a break and just try each day to be a little better.

No comments: