Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial Weekend

It has been a rainy Memorial weekend.   We got to Tom's grave in Farmington after a huge rain/hail storm.  It was great to be together and see most of Wayne's siblings and their kids and their grandkids.    It's like we have been hibernating all winter and finally get to see each other again.   Wayne talked about the importance of remembering and how passing down memories and stories is so important.  Niece Becca Welch talked about how she doesn't remember Grandpa Welch, but she does know he collected pennies, and picked one up any time he saw one.  She has a penny jar in her locker at school and anytime she sees a penny she knows Grandpa Welch is thinking of her.  Many of her friends at school give her pennies too, because they know she collects them on behalf of Grandpa.  I thought this was so sweet.  
More rain on Monday so no Swim day.  Wayne and I opted for a 17 mile bike ride between the storms, then took the family that was around us to Tony burgers for lunch then off to the cemetery.  More rain so we huddled under the tree to keep out of it.    Alfie made the cutest hearts to put on all of his grandparents graves on the Welch and Briggs side.  It was a cute thing for his parents to have him do and he really "owned" this activity.    Alfie and Tayla ran and played around the tomb stones and I just sat quietly trying to feel my people.  It gets dimmer and dimmer.  They really were amazing and I hope to be half as good as them.   It really is sad to me that Marcie is in heaven and not here holding her family.  


I remember going to the Preston cemetery growing up and Dad would have us all lay down by the tombstones to see if we fit, just in case it was our turn next.  I of course, did this with my kids and now I'm doing it with the grandkids.    It's a family tradition.
  I really am blessed to have the family that I do.....and the parents that I did.  I'm remembering..... I'm remembering.... I can see God's hand at work in my families lives past and present.  I can see how he has shaped us and continues to teach us to love and be kind and reach out to the one and help those in need and be accepting.  All good things.

“Remember” is used 167 times in the Bible reminding us of the importance of remembering. We see it both in the Old Testament and the New. Usually, it has to do with remembering events in order to remember that God was at work in the midst of those events."

We watched the Disney movie Coco today.  It really is the perfect 
Memorial day movie.  The theme song is "Remember Me"   here are the lyrics  

Though I have to say goodbye
Remember me
Don't let it make you cry
For ever if I'm far away
I hold you in my heart
I sing a secret song to you
Each night we are apart
Remember me
Though I have to travel far
Remember me
Each time you hear a sad guitar
Know that I’m with you
The only way that I can be
Until you’re in my arms again
Remember me
Poppy was all smiles and matched her dad so I had to get a pic between the rain drops.

No comments: