Monday, November 11, 2019

Counsel with the Lord

I have been trying a new thing with my prayers.  Counseling instead of asking.  My normal prayers were thank-yous first and then asks second then signing off. 

I'm now working on thanks first then counseling second.

Counseling sounds like this.... instead of asking for help with my people, I counsel and say something like, "Does Laila even need help? Is she right on track?  Is there a better way I should be doing this?  Is there a different way I could be looking at this? "

Here's the deal, I don't think the Lord is ever shocked or surprised by what's going on down here.  He's all-knowing.  We have agency and choice and he wants us to seek him and learn and grow-- but he knows the end from the beginning.  We don't.    So when things aren't going how I think they SHOULD be going, counseling feels so much better than asking.  Asking makes my prayers feel needy and automatic.  "Please bless... Please help... Please, please."

I have had two experiences lately with this that were truly faith promoting.

Wayne lost his passport.  We had returned home from Portland at midnight on Sunday and he was flying out to China in 8 hours.  He couldn't find his passport.  We searched in drawers, under dressers and beds, in suitcases and briefcases.  All of the usual places.  Wayne decided it must be at his office.  At 1 in the morning, Wayne went to his work and I went to my knees.  I counseled with the Lord, "Should Wayne even find his passport?   If so help this to happen quickly.  If not we will be at peace with it. "  I was thinking maybe he's not supposed to go to China.  Maybe this missing passport is just how it's supposed to be.  As I prayed and counseled, I felt comforted.  When I said amen, I opened my eyes and glanced to my left and the passport was under Wayne's nightstand.  We had looked there many times.   I got down on my knees again in thanks.  Wayne flew out to China.

When we were in Scotland at Culzean Castle we had another experience with this.

Laila was trying to get all of her college applications in and the last one, the one to BYU was due at midnight Utah time. It was now midnight Scotland time, and the clock was ticking.  Laila was finishing her essays and it was all a bit much.  She was tired and cranky and she didn't want to do this.  I told her to forget it.  She doesn't want to go to BYU anyway and was just doing it to keep her options open.
At this point, she took ownership and said, "NO, I got my Bishop's endorsement in and my essays, so I'm going to finish this."
She clicked submit and it came up that she needed three more endorsements- one from the stake president, one from a family friend and one from her English or Math teacher.
Ughh!
We had a few hours to make this happen and we were in a castle.

Laila texted family friend, Kimi Farley who has happy to oblige when she could get to her computer.  Laila begged Wayne to contact Pres. Jackson which he did. The Stake Pres said, after talking to Laila on the phone, that he would get it in by midnight.  Laila only had her teacher's school emails.  No phone numbers.  She emailed a few of them with no response and felt frantic. Would they even see the request? 
I told her again just to forget it.  It's all too much.
Then I had an idea.
I suggested we ask the Lord if she is even supposed to turn an application in to BYU.
We said this "counseling" prayer, and upon AMEN, we heard a ding- Kimi's endorsement was in and ding her English teacher turned one in!!!  The teacher also emailed Laila back and said, "I don't know why I looked at my school email tonight, I never do that on a weekend, but I'm glad I could help you."

Answers to prayer for sure.

Laila started crying, " This means I have to go to BYU."  She was sobbing.  I corrected her, "No. what this means is you were supposed to apply to BYU and the Lord is aware of you and hears our prayers. "

It was a sweet time for all of us and we fell asleep in our castle in Scotland assured that the Lord is involved in our lives.

No comments: