Friday, February 1, 2019

Men are always running their fingers through my Hair!

My hair looks awesome.  I just got done with Gary coloring my hair and it's gorgeous.  Gary has done my hair for 30 years.  He cuts and colors and anything else I want. I love getting my hair done.  It's a therapy session and beauty session all rolled into one.
I've always had a man do my hair.

My Grandpa Butters gave me my first hair cut and continued with hair cuts til he retired- about my high school years.  I remember Sunday night hair cuts in the breezeway in the summer or by his back door in the winter and every once in a while I would get a special hair cut, or color and get go into Grandpa's salon in SLC.  IT was across from and west of Temple square.  The corner is filled with the LDS Church History museum now. It was a prime spot.  I remember being introduced to Harold B. Lee's wife when he was the Prophet.  She sat by me and got her hair done chatting me and Grandpa Butters up the whole time. I always felt so grown up when I got to go into Salt Lake and see Grandpa. 

Then I moved on to having my Uncle Steve perm, cut and color my hair  at his hair salon in Bountiful called The Head Office . This was a "funky" space with Garfield posters and other funny saying posters on the ceiling.  So when  getting your hair washed you had something to read and chuckle about from the ceiling sayings. Steve had the fastest hands in the west.  He could roll a perm and get you processing quicker than quick.  Perms were huge in the 80's so this was a good thing.

Gary, Marcie's husband,  went to hair school in his late 20's and started doing my hair from when I had little babies  up until now. He started out at his home with a chair and the kitchen sink, then he had a real salon for awhile, then back to a nice salon space in his home.  Gary has worked for many names in the hair industry- Broccato, Kadis, and currently KIN.

I've had numerous hair styles throughout the ages, and colors of hair.  And I appreciate all of these guys.  I love my hair being long and curly or wavy and that I only have to wash and do my hair once a week.  Really once a week.  It's pretty curly the first day and gets less and less as the week goes on, and that's okay.  My hair is so dry, that it never gets oily.  I actually have to add oil to my hair after I wash it.
It's crazy, I know.


Landon, my son, is now in Beauty school learning to become a hair dresser.  He is excellent at it, so I can see my future now with him taking care of my hair needs.  He graduates in April and then Gary is mentoring him and getting him moving forward in a salon in SLC.  Landon likes cutting and really loves coloring and is so good at it already.  All of the chemistry and geometry that felt like it had no application in his high school years now makes total sense in his hair school years and come easily.

Sunday night hair cutting is now delegated to Landon



Hair has always been a big deal to me and I'm grateful to all the men who have had a hand in that.

No comments: