Sunday, October 26, 2008

Musings on a Sunday morn

Almost home....a lot of sprite got sipped and swallowed this morning between 7 and 8:30am--- more than all day yesterday, so we are clear to go home.
Yeah for home!
Home is such a good feeling word in my mouth and in my heart.

Wayne gets off his plane at 9:00 and is coming straight to the hospital. It will be so good to have him here. Then I can turn all of this over to his sleepy but very capable arms. I need to have a week long nap. (A can dream.)

It's amazing how life and plans can change so quickly. Last month a cancer scare with my sweet Wayne, now it's a traumatic brain injury for Laila. What's next? How about a vacation for Melinda?

Laila has to stay down and slow til Thanksgiving and no "crazy town" til next spring.
It's going to be a struggle to keep this kid down. Infact, as the nurse was explaining the new ground rules for recovery, Laila climbed out of her hospital bed and stood on a roller chair so she could see a get well sign in her hospital room better. The nurse gasped and I just didn't really pay attention to the hazard of the roller chair, as usual. It's going to be a rough 4 to 6 weeks, but I'm glad to do it..... no running, jumping, climbing, skipping, recess, PE, no tumbling, ballet, drama...no rehearsal. School for 2 hours a day at first, then build back into it. Just slow and steady and quiet activities for weeks. Yeah right. ( sense the sarcasm?)
Laila has always been a coordinated monkey-- climbing and running-- everything fast!
In kindergarten her teacher asked what she wanted to be when she grew up....her reply:
"A Space- walker ( astronaut) or a Race car driver--- I like going fast"

I asked her if she was glad she chose to stay on earth instead of going to Heaven on Thursday. "Of course I'm glad...I get to be yours for a long time." she sassily replied.

Love her.

Landon has been a great help these past 4 days. He is a trooper in a crisis. All the brothers are great, but he just really knows what to do and how to care. He has brought me food and fun, and hung around while Wayne couldn't.


Can't wait to sleep in my own bed. One night in a chair in the PICU and two nights on a plastic , hospital pull out bed does not make for good sleep. Probably 12 total hours in the last 3 days. Living on love and .....diet coke.

Can't wait to be filled up today with tales of what was taught in church. I love the gospel and I love having faith in God. Happy to choose life. Wondering why I spend so much energy on earth bound things and stuff.
Good wake up call, again, for enjoying the little things and remembering life is filled with the small moments.

1 comment:

Diane said...

I just got caught up on the last two weeks of posts. Thanks for sharing your insights and humor. We are all so grateful Laila is doing better. We hope you and Wayne are as well. We're thrilled you are reunited. We love you all!
Diane and Bob