Friday, December 24, 2021

Christmas Eve Polish Dinner

 Our Christmas around the world this year featured Poland.   Lexi's maternal grandma's line is Polish so it was great to see her calling her grandma and getting recipes.  I have a lady in my ward, Emilia Wing who is Polish and when I talked to her about a Polish Christmas she said that she had a Polish Christmas every year growing up, but they just called it Christmas.  


We went around the table to give New Year WISHES... and when Lady got to me instead of money or health etc... she said, "I wish Meema will always have Chicken nuggets in her freezer so I can have some."



In Poland, they do a lot of  Catholic tied-in traditions.  They put hay on the table or under the table cloth to represent the manger for the Christ child.  They set an extra place setting for any stranger who may happen to stop by.  They all eat fish.  They serve 12 dishes to represent the 12 apostles or modern-day-- 12 months of the year -- and you need to have at least a bite out of each dish if you want good luck every month of the new year.  They wait to see the first star before starting eating...  They start the dinner late and then all go to midnight mass.  They break bread as they sit around the table and as they share the bread to the next person, they make a wish for them for the NEW YEAR.  

SO we did not have fish... Monson and others make this a no go.. but I got out my fish plate to represent that.  




We had Pierogi's, pedodees- a potato pancake,  polish dogs, kielbasa, polish saurkraut, polish potato salad ( think summer potato salad and then add carrot, apple, and canned corn ) chocolate babka, and an amazing cheesecake that Bre made.  

We had Monson's family,  Addison's family and my dear friend Paula Carlson.  

I made a Polish star ornament to remember this night. 





No comments: