Wednesday, October 23, 2019

Oregon thoughts from the 3rd row

We just got back from a family filled road trip to the Oregon coast.  It was delightful in so many ways and really hard in others. ( 30 hours of driving) 

 So basically it was perfect.

Because of a pregnant Lexi, and trying to consolidate cars and help out Monson’s family, I got to sit in the back of our Honda Pilot,  on the third row, alongside my little 1 year old Adelaide strapped into a bulky car seat on my right and my teenager Laila squished to my left. 

In my head this car trip was going to be no big deal.  I don’t get car sick. My body doesn’t ache. I envisioned long conversations, happy children, singing and laughing together in the car and really how bad could it be?

Am I a mother or a martyr? 

What I learned:   
1.  It’s hard to hear and stay in any conversation with the driver and other adults sitting this far back. Laila just wanted to listen to her music or play games on her phone and Lady isn’t much for talking yet so I listened to a book and I’m grateful for audible. 

2.  One year olds are much easier entertained in a car than when my kids were this age thanks to electronics and The Grinch movie.  We watched it 10 times….at least.

3.  I was so thankful to GET OUT of the car any chance I could just to stretch my legs, and hips and back and get some much needed blood flow going to my legs.  I struggled getting in and out of the car and sometimes found myself in contortionist positions, but I was happy to be released from 3rd row prison.

4. The long car ride, squished bodies, rainy weather, whiny children, lost shoes, fast food, waiting in  potty lines, the Grinch Movie and achey backs are all CIRCUMSTANCES. Circumstances are neutral… they just are. It’s my thoughts that I’m in charge of.  I could be miserable or I could be merry.

I chose MERRY and made the most of it.   
I breathed in this time, smiled, and counted my blessings  knowing it was all going to end much too soon.


Family road trips with 16 people are easy peasy lemon squeazy and difficult, difficult, lemon difficult and I’m down for all of it!

No comments: