Wednesday, November 16, 2016

Favorites on Thanksgiving

1. What is your favorite Thanksgiving side dish? Sausage Dressing. I remember the first time I tasted it at Wayne's family's Thanksgiving, I was surprised how much I liked it.  I loved my mom's basic bread, celery, onion and sage dressing...but adding the sausage just put it over the top.... Tom used to make it and now Wanee does each year.  It's comforting and delicious.  I also like Brussel sprouts in bacon, butter glazed carrots and cabbage, sweet potatoes with a crunchy top, fresh cranberry sauce, hot rolls.... well I just like it all.

2. What is your favorite Thanksgiving dessert? Pie, pie and more Pie.  I love pumpkin, apple -cranberry, berry,  pecan, rhubarb and all of the cream pies.

3. What does your ideal Thanksgiving outfit look like? Cute blousey top and stretchy pants. 

4. What is your best Thanksgiving memory? Eating all of the rolls at Grandma Butters house.  IT was always a big deal who could eat the most.   Liz usually won. 

5. Least favorite Thanksgiving dish.  Green bean casserole .  I really just like the crunchy onion on top. 

6. Do you have any quirky Thanksgiving traditions?  I have to watch the Macy's Thanksgiving day parade.  Especially the Broadway show preview parts before the parade even begins.  
Family movie for Thanksgiving night.   We started this about 25 years ago when the kids were little...my parents didn't want to go so they tended the kids while we "movied" it up.  We would go early in the day to buy the movie tickets, which wasn't a problem...getting seats together was.  We had to get to the movie theatre to wait in line about an hour before. We would wait in the hallway, sit on the floor and eat popcorn, (when we could afford it) then when the theatre doors opened it was a mad scramble for seats.    As the kids got older, they joined us...and now with reserved seat movie theaters, it's just easier and easier.   

7. Where do you and your family usually celebrate Thanksgiving? Usually trading off between one of Wayne's siblings homes and first my Grandma Butters, then mom's home...and now it's at my home on the "Cole" year.  I don't know how long this rotation will last, but it's good for now.  This year we are with the  Terry and Cyrrena Welches in their basement along with Wanee and Holly, the Madsen's and the Mark Welch families.

8. What do you love most about Thanksgiving? Going around and saying what people are thankful for after the meal.  I think it's good to declare  this out loud every once in a while and to hear what my family has to say.   If I get too serious, I just cry so I try to keep it light, but I do love my thanksgiving journal that gets passed around to everyone who wants to write in it each year.  

9. What do you think has changed most since your first married Thanksgiving?  Well... we used to just show up and the food was just magically there....now we are the food makers.  Wayne and I are pretty much in charge of the garlic mashed potatoes each year for both sides of the family.  I guess that's ok...since we are good at it and our boys...aka Monson... eat the most. 

No comments: