Sunday, November 20, 2016

Day #20 Gratitude

I'm grateful for  scriptures in my life.
I have an on again off again friendship with my scriptures.  I was raised reading them every day in family scripture reading.  I made it through seminary reading my scriptures just like I was supposed to yearly.  I have read the entire Book of Mormon multiple times.  We did morning scripture reading with our kids....so the scriptures are really familiar to me, but when we are told that we can find  all of our answers  to life's questions in the scriptures,  I get baffled.  It doesn't seem to always work for me in a literal sense, but it does work for me figuratively.  The act of going to the scriptures, attending church and the temple and praying all help me find answers and find peace.  

I have a few scriptures that are always coming back to my mind that just fill me with hope and joy.  They come to me just when I need them the most.   This is one of the benefits of scripture reading.

One scripture was on display on the wall  at my Grandma Butters for as along as I can remember.  It was made of cut out felt letters glued to a burlap background and framed.  My aunt Lynette made it for her.   It read......
"This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it."  Psalms 118: 24 
This scripture pops up most mornings. It reminds me to be grateful and as a side note I think of my grandparents and the beautiful home and family they created.


This one goes through my head and heart a lot with regards to my children and the hand full of unanswered not understood questions that I have.   
" .. I know that he loveth his children; nevertheless, I do not know the meaning of all things." 
 1 Nephi 11:17

I think of George Sharkey  when I recall this scripture, but it says so much about life and how we can get through it.  
"Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life."  
2 Nephi 31:20 


Wayne and I chose this scripture as our family scripture when we first got married.   It's a great reminder of priorities. 
"....choose you this day whom ye will serve; ... as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."   Joshua 24: 15 

These Scriptures have become my friends.  I'm grateful.

1 comment:

Donna said...

Being grateful for Scripture is wonderful! A free yet priceless gift :)