Thursday, January 21, 2016

Happy quarter of a century Tru

My Tru is 25. "A Quarter of a Century.  He's a Quarter of a Century man." ( Lines from a musical, How to Succeed in Business....but I digress)
25 years...have gone by slow and fast all at the same time.
I'm so blessed to have Tru as my son.  He's warm and welcoming, funny and friendly, trendy and talented, and just an all around good guy and great "guncle" who keeps us all on our toes.  

I like this quote by Corrie Tenboom," Every experience God gives us, every person He puts into our lives is the perfect preparation for a future only He can see."   I feel this about each of my children.
Alf and Tru- two January birthdays entertaining each other
I don't know if Tru's life has turned out how he thought it would, but I know he's happy.  He was on an LDS path til he was 22 and now he's on a different path since his coming out.  Not altogether different, but he has left the church. Even though this didn't fit into "my plan".........I'm a big fan of free agency. I believe very much in allowing people to govern themselves, to exercise their own free agency  (just as I can exercise mine) and to continue to love them along their way.

I've learned a lot in Tru's 25 years. 
Here's what I know. 

Heavenly Father knows Truman and his successes and struggles, just like he knows me. I know Heavenly Father is more merciful than any of us are led to believe.  He loves us, He created us in His image and that includes our LGBT brothers and sisters.  I’ve learned that only by loving and accepting my children completely will they be able to reach their full potential as adults. 

I know Heavenly Father loves my Tru more than I do.........and the  Heavenly Father and Savior I know and believe in, aren’t in the business of breaking up families. If my son is lucky enough to find the love of his life, well then Wayne and I will attend a beautiful wedding.  I will welcome that future son in law into our family and eternal family just as I would any other person my children should choose to marry. Because in the end, it’s how we treat, serve and love others that matters.   

More than a century ago, Mark Twain, when he was looking back on his life, wrote this: "There isn't time, so brief is life, for bickerings, apologies, heartburnings, callings to account. There is only time for loving, and but an instant, so to speak, for that."
I know I will continue to learn and grow through Tru's next 25 years too.
Happy Birthday Truman.  You were a beautiful baby and now you are a beautiful human being.



No comments: