Sunday, December 7, 2014

Christmas Soap Box


I love this time of year.  I love that Thanksgiving gets our minds and hearts in a grateful spot so we can welcome  in the Christmas season, and it’s wonderful that it is a Season and not just a Day.
 I’ve been on my soap box lately about getting Christmas to be “The favorite“ holiday again.  It seems to have lost its place and I think ol’ Lucifer is pretty happy about this.  Too much commercialization, too many trappings to occupy us, to much money spent, too many cranky crowds…..   I think Satan rejoices when he hears.. “Ugh, Christmas again?”  or “What’s the big deal about Christmas?” or even, "I hate Christmas"  Many people say Thanksgiving is their favorite holiday now because there are not worrisome gifts involved.  We eat, we thank.    Or Halloween is  for the younger set because it’s just costumes, candy and fun.   Don’t get me wrong, I love these two Holidays…but really they are kind of selfish holidays, because we don’t have to reach out and think of others at all.  Christmas is really the only one that begs us to be more Christ like.   This does take some effort.  It takes moving away from the “natural” man and moving toward spirituality .  
Christmas should be the favorite because it celebrates the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ and all that is wrapped up in that….love, charity, faith, the atonement …..it’s so, so important.
 I don’t want to be caught up in the material side and get all worked up and worried about enough gifts or are the decorations just right or any other natural man stuff.  I don’t want to buy into the commercialization of it.    I just want to be in a heightened  spirit of generosity, togetherness and love…that’s why it’s wonderful that it is a Season and not just a Day.

 So …I will get off my soap box now and enjoy

I adore this painting of the nativity by Brian Kershisnik so much. I know Angels are all about us and we were the Angels on this wonderful night over 2000 years ago.

No comments: