We have had more "fun" things happen around here. I keep telling Wayne that I can't wait for 2013 to be over. It's been a tough one for me....but I'm still trying to have a grateful heart and counting my blessings along the way.
1. I'm thankful for tender mercies. My dad fell down Tuesday morning while out on his morning walk around the block. It got chilly, so he started to trot home, and his head and body got in front of his feet. He described it as a toddler running down a hill with an inevitable fall. He fell in the road and caught himself with his face. He gashed his head and was bleeding like crazy. He couldn't get up. Angela happened to be coming along right about then, and saw something on the side of the road and realized it was dad and was there to help him. Preston called Marcie and Wayne and they showed up...Marcie to help stand dad up and get him in a car, and Wayne to meet at the Emergency room and help there. As we look back on it we see many Tender Mercies along the way...why was Angela going to work at that time? Why did she drive on 850 East, she always takes 800 East? Why did Marcie change her normal temple day? Why? We are all feeling pretty grateful for these. Dad has a broken nose, broken orbital bone and a gash on his head that required 9 stitches. Head wounds are bloody...but Dad is on blood thinners because of his heart attack and the blood would not stop coming. The docs in the ER worked on him for a about 3 hours to get it under control and finally had to put balloons up his nose to stop the flow. It was pretty desperate for a while. We were all pacing and praying as we watched our father suffer. He had an overnight hospital stay and now is home recovering. He of course was hoping to check out of this world...but he gets to be with us all a bit longer. I'm thankful.
Dad didn't look this bad even in his college boxing days....
2. I'm thankful for my Wayne. He is such a strength to me. I've had my fair share of pity parties lately and he is so understanding and helps me to see the light.
3. I'm thankful for heat. My new fireplace insert arrived and I am loving it. A beautiful fire and a warmer living room. It's going to be great in the winter mornings when Laila is practicing her piano too.
4. I'm thankful for Bre. She just celebrated her 24th birthday and big changes are happening for her. She is a darling pregnant lady. I just wished she felt better. She has had scary kidney infections lately that have been so painful, she can't even walk. She had her sister's family in Orlando recently and that helped her out so much. Her sister Mylissa showed much needed tender loving care, and her bro-in-law doctor advised and got her on much needed long term antibiotics. I'm so proud of her for working hard at Disney, even when she has felt so horrible and for teaching the Gospel Principles class for all of the new members in her ward. She is amazing. Can't wait to visit her and Addison the beginning of November.
5. I'm thankful for missionaries. Monson comes home in less than 3 months. We have had 4 solid years of missionary's coming to an end in our home. (Tru can't wait to see his best brother...and I can't wait to get an updated family picture...but I digress.) I had the final missionary parent gathering at my home last weekend. I've been heading this up for the past 4 years. We had the missionary parents from our ward gather and eat and talk about our kids serving all over the world. I got kind of teary thinking this is my last parent party.... until Laila goes on her mission that is.
6. I'm thankful for walks up to the cemetery/temple. It's good to be outside in the cold sunshine, move my body and clear my head. A few tears at the cemetery visiting momma's grave is good too.
7. I'm thankful for Fall Break. We are going up to the Welch family cabin. It will be gorgeous and peaceful...and full of family time and card games!