Saturday, September 30, 2017

Getting out of Comfort zone

Getting out of my comfort zone is a challenge.  I always have the best intentions.  I sign up , I recruit people to join me and I get my “costume” together… I arrive at whatever function, then something happens. I come up with all sorts of excuses as to why I’m not going to do it.  I’m too old. I’m too heavy. I don’t know enough. People will look at me. I  will be judged. I don’t want to embarrass my family.…Oh the list goes on.  But  if I can hold off these voices and move past my inner critic I almost always have a great time, and I come away feeling empowered because I did it.

Yesterday the same thing happened.  I wanted to go to an event that Cents of Style was putting on including shopping, giveaways, speaker Alison Faulkner of the Alison show..a podcast I listen to diligently…  talk about women empowerment, , plus an opportunity to do High Fitness with the founder Emily Nelson and food from the Village Baker.  All of the things I love.  But once I got there, I kept thinking of all sorts of excuses to leave. …to not get in my work out gear, to book out early… I was so glad I got one of my BFF’s Kathleen to go with me.  She is a gung-ho kind of gal. I call her fearless, because she doesn’t have any walls that keep her from doing things.  She is phenomenal physically, spiritually and helps me emotionally  stay on track. Having Kathleen there kept me there.
It was so interesting to hear Cents of Style founder talk about walls that we build up that stop us…all based on fear.   She had a lady from the audience come up to tell what her “wall” is that she wants to tear down.  It was an older lady  ( one of 6 of us there…everyone else was 20-30 somethings)  saying she was afraid that her kids would learn about her past and not love her.  WHAT?!?  Her girls were there and it was an amazing thing to be a part of. It felt like an Oprah moment.   It was  also empowering to listen to Alison speak about building  and just starting something good. She did this all while in her work out clothes, including a jewel encrusted sports bra—she’s got guts.  She has always been about loving your body no matter what size, and I love this about her.   I kept thinking of my Souls sisters Retreats and how grateful I am  to be “freaking” doing it.   I was so glad I got my  work out stuff on including my High Fitness hat and participated in the music and the dance that is high fitness.  It feels so good to move and I’m blessed to have a body that I can do this. 
I even ran into my two nieces, Becca and Rachel…they know how to get involved in a good thing.   The food after by Village Baker was delicious too. 


-->
So….. I got out of my comfort zone.  I silenced my inner critic.  Tried something new and had a great time.   

No comments: