Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Women, Food and God

I finished reading Women, Food and God by Geneen Roth and learned a few things.  

Diets don't work because food and weight are the symptoms, not the problems.  

Roth has her own eating guidelines with regards to Intuitive eating...
1. Eat when you are hungry
2. Eat sitting down in a calm environment.  This does not include the car.
3. Eat without distractions.  Distractions include radio, tv, newspapers, books, cell phone, intense anxiety producing conversations or music. 
4. Eat what your body wants.
5. Eat until you are satisfied.
6. Eat with the  intention of being in full view of others
7. Eat with enjoyment, gusto, and pleasure. 

I've posted these guidelines on cupboards around my kitchen...sometimes I don't obey them.  I still just want to open up a cupboard and grab something sweet or salty.  I did have a moment today where I felt so anxious and stopped myself from eating.  I just recognized the feeling and was mindful of what I was doing and didn't go to food to numb it.  I walked out of the room instead.  I was proud of myself.  Not so proud when I say, Oh well, and just eat the food.    Need to work on not looking at these moments with judgment but just ask myself what's going one?  Look at myself more clinically.


IF love could speak to you about food it would say, "Eat when you are hungry, sweetheart, because if you don't you won't enjoy the food and why should you do anything you don't enjoy? 

IF love could speak to you it would say, "Eat what your body wants darling, otherwise you won't feel so well and why should you walk around feeling tired and depressed from what you put into your mouth?"

IF love could speak to you my little creampuff, it would say, "Stop eating when you've had enough otherwise you will be uncomfortable and why spend one minute in discomfort?"


This is a slow process but one I am committed to.

The truth is that you either throw the food out or you throw  in in but either way it turns to waste. 

I want to work on making my day more appealing than cookies.... this is the goal.

No comments: