Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Hearts and Homes

Hurrah for Families!
Isn't living in a family great? 
 Such a wonderful idea, of our Heavenly Father's, to send us down in groups called families.  
I'm blessed to be a wife, daughter, mother, aunt, sister and cousin in my family....and it's awesome to be in a ward family too.  We are all here to help each other and lift each other.....support and love each other.
I have fond memories of the family home that I grew up in and now, my own family home which grows and changes daily.  
My dad was a Real Estate Agent and we talked about houses a lot through my growing up years.  Still do.  We go to home shows and see the grand and glorious homes and  we go to different parts of our world and see the humble huts.

 Homes are varied and interesting.  
I marvel that Wayne grew up with 9 siblings---11 people in a 4 bedroom, 1 1/2 bath house.  11 of them all struggling for space under one small roof.  Wayne slept on the family room couch or awhile, and we laugh that Mark, his youngest brother, slept in the closet.  
Houses are okay........
Homes are better
There are many sayings out today that decorate people's homes:

Fill a house with love and it becomes a home.
If only there were no houses only homes.
Home is where your story begins.
As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Home is where you belong.

The  extended-Welch family hymn is -- Love at Home. 
 "There is beauty all around when there's love at home. "
This was sung around Grandpa Israelsen's hospital bed when Wayne was a bitty boy.......he  has a clear memory of this............and again as Wayne's Dad, Tom, was passing...we sang it around his bed.  

Home
H is for Happiness, Holiness, Honesty
O is for Obedience, Organized
M is for Mind your own business  
E is for Enthusiasm, Education, Example and Endure to the end

Laila experessed out of the blue, and very dramatically, "Don't ever sell our home!  I just love our home!"
"Really, Laila, what do you love about it?" I asked.
Laila paused, and after some thought she said, "You know, the sinks and the walls and just everything."

I hope that "just everything" is the love she feels, we all feel, when we go home and get to hang out with our families.  I love my home too......but it's the people and not the sinks and walls that are the  truly important parts.  



1 comment:

Sheri said...

Dear Sweet Daughter,

I love your insights on life.
I loved this one about homes.
Laila is right about the home she loves....never leave it...even the sinks and walls need love.

You are awesome in every way. Thanks for holding my hand through this new and crazy email mess. I'll get it...it will just take time

Love you

Mom