Friday, October 9, 2009

Shark girl....Laila

I couldn't believe my eyes last night!
I looked up onto Bountiful High School's stage and Laila was there, in costume, crying with the sharks as they mourned Tony's death in West Side Story. 
It was a final dress rehearsal.....and it was so sweet...and funny...I was laughing so hard, I was crying!

Earlier in the day, Laila  informed me that she wanted to be Puerto Rican tonight for the rehearsal.  I told her she is Puerto Rican every night.   SHe just shook her head.
What she meant was she wanted to dress like a shark girl:  Colorful, puffy skirt with lots of petticoats to shake.  Hair down and high heels.
We scrounged through her closet and  found an old ballet yellow tutu that we put under a black skirt and tied a sweater  on top. She put on red lipstick and she was ready.
She was so excited to go to rehearsal and show the Shark girls.
Little did I know that she had more plans than just these.

I dropped her off to watch the rehearsal of  West Side Story...her favorite musical.   ( This was also my favorite musical when I was a little girl)
When I went back to pick her up at the end of the night....she was on stage.
Evidently Angela ( the director)  said it as okay.
She looked like a Mini-me Shark girl.
I wish I had a picture, but I was smiling and chuckling too hard to think about that.
When Laila took her bow with all of the Shark girls and shook her yellow netted skirt....I lost it.

SHe has a great time at BHS, thanks to all of the high school kids who are so awesome with her.

OF course, Laila can't understand why she can't be on stage every night.
I told her she was seven, that's why.
This show is about high school age kids.
SHe then moaned in the car about wanting to grow up faster....!
I silently moaned in the car too, about wanting her to grow up slower.....!

3 comments:

Erin Blake said...

Maddie told me about this last night and said it was so dang cute. She even did a little leg movement the girls do before they kneel down? You probably know what I'm talking about Ms. Choreographer. Laila is the bomb.

Melanie said...

Darling, glad you didn't wait any longer to leave last night or you would have missed it!

Lesley said...

I wish I wouldv'e seen that. Laila is a star in the making. I loved her performance in "Annie" last year. We're going tonight, I'm looking forward to the show and my "Jet girl's" performance :-)