Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Monson

Monson turned 16 on Monday....and we celebrated by (Wayne and I) going on a double date with Monson and his girlfriend.
Sunday she was a friend-girl....Monday, a girl-friend.

We went to Texas Road House and then a movie. It was fun....?
Monson has always been mature in ways beyond his years. Liking girls is one of these ways. He considers himself a "ladies man." I just want him to be a mamma's boy.

I remember what a darling, google-faced baby he was. So smiley. He looked like a little leprechaun. He was charming, and many people asked to hold him. I would hand them a bath towel to drape over their body, then the baby. He was big on projectile vomiting. After being thrown up on, these same people didn't ask to hold him any more.

I remember him being 3 years old. It was just Monson and me, all of the other boys were in school. We were driving around Bountiful. He had a little smug, contented look on his face. I asked him what he was thinking about?
He replied, " I'm just thinking how cool I am."
He really said that----at three years old.
This has been his mantra ever since.

At 8 years old, Monson asked for a tuxedo for his birthday....that's all. OH yeah, he wanted a monkey too, but I had to draw the line somewhere. He was thrilled when he opened his one present, and it was a beautiful black tuxedo with studded shirt. He wore it to his baptism. He wore it to church every week. He wore it to his 2nd grade school program. All of the other kids had their run around-just in from recess clothes on. But Monson, made me bring the tuxedo and he changed in the car. He knew the "girls would love it." He was right. (I cried all the way through that program, like it was a funeral or something.)

For Monson's 3rd grade talent show, he wore a fedora hat, a Hawaiian shirt and sang "Luck be a Lady Tonight" from Guys and Dolls.
It was amazing....and sweet and man was he Cool.

It was really weird for me to be on this date. I got sick on the food-- had a stomach ache all of the way through the movie and went straight to bed upon returning home.

Maybe it wasn't the food.....maybe I was just "sick" thinking about my youngest son DATING! Sick that he was holding hands. Sick about change. Sick about getting old. Sick ........ oh well, I'll get over it.

I'm looking forward to the new year with excitement and maybe more double dating opportunities with my other boys.

4 comments:

Aussiemuminthekitchen said...

Melinda I just have to tell you how much I love your blogs. I always get a kick out of them and find myself laughing out loud. It is so much fun having an aunty with such a fun and quirky personality. It was hilarious to learn a little more about your Monson. What a funny kid. I'd love to see pics of him in that tux. Hope your feeling better
~HUGS~

lieslbmarie said...

I have been reading your blog for a few weeks now-I just "happened" to randomly find it one day....I love your writing style! Your sense of humor and outlook on life is positive and genuine-and of course I love the food posts because YES I am one of those kind of people-I'm sick of my "chub" too but I LOVE to eat. Keep up the great work-you keep me smiling.

I was also touched by your post today about your son-I have 3 boys myself and I am dreading the day when they start dating-I want to be the only "girl" in their life....It will be hard to share them.

lieslbmarie said...

OK-it's me again-I just saw that Natalie posted a comment. I used to work with her and that must be how I found your blog-thru her....small world. Anyway-thanks to Nat:)!

Unknown said...

I SO remember the tux and the monkey request. He was so cute in that tux.